Prepare, gather and have all of your ingredients ready, and place them in front of you before you begin cooking – this is known as mis en place, and ensures that you don’t need to fumble around in search of your ingredients while preparing your meal.
What you need
- 215 grams coarse-cut orange marmalade (2/3 cup), divided
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus 1/2 tablespoon for glaze, and more for greasing pan
- 150 grams granulated sugar (3/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- ½ teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 190 grams all-purpose flour (1 1/2 cups)
- 7 grams baking powder (1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 3 grams fine sea salt (3/4 teaspoon)
- 30 grams confectioners’ sugar (4 tablespoons)
How to make it
1.Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coarsely chop any extra-large chunks of peel in the marmalade. Grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together softened butter, sugar, lime zest and orange zest until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. Beat in 1/3 cup marmalade and the orange juice.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Fold dry ingredients into wet until just combined.
4. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake until surface of cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean, 50 to 55 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer pan to a wire rack. Cool 10 minutes; turn cake out of pan and place on rack right-side up. Place a rimmed baking sheet under rack to catch the glaze.
5. Heat remaining 1/3 cup marmalade in a small pot over low heat until melted; whisk in confectioners’ sugar and 1/2 tablespoon butter until smooth. Slather warm glaze over top of cake, allowing some to drizzle down the sides. Cool completely before slicing